Currency used in the Canary Islands
Barcelona uses the Euro, which is currently exchanged at $1.20 USD for 1 Euro. So it’s not that much more expensive, but keep in mind that you’re always spending 10% more. This might not seem like a huge difference but a 40 euro meal turns into a $48 meal. The Canary Islands is below in terms of spending costs. Look below for some of my best budget tips for Barcelona.
My Budget for the Canary Islands
- $100 USD round-trip flight from Barcelona to Gran Canaria
- $247 USD for a 5-night stay at an Airbnb (Late May)
- $20 USD for public transport tickets (Including airport transfer)
- $250 USD for food & drink
- $71.50 USD for an excursion to Tenerife
- $688.50 USD TOTAL for a 5-night stay in Maspalomas, Canary Islands & flight from Barcelona airport
The Best Budget Tips & How to Spend Money in the Canary Islands
- Budgeting in the Canary Islands can be hard because each location/island is very different. However, you will find yourself doing a lot of outdoors activities, which ends up saving a lot of money
- Get an Airbnb with a kitchen and buy some groceries so you can make your own breakfast in the mornings, prep snacks for the middle of the day on the beach
- Find a balance between excursions and time on the beach or national parks
- Don’t cheap out on the food in the Canary Islands! There will be many touristy restaurants, especially in Maspalomas, but spend a little more money to get much better food
Remember if you would like to learn more about any of the places included in my best budget tips for the Canary Islands, then you can visit my all-inclusive guide for free here!