This is a picture of the public transportation map in Budapest. Like any other city, tickets are available for purchase at any metro stop. I recommend buying the 10 trip package for a 3 day weekend for two people. It costs 3,000 HUF for a 10 journey ticket, which saves money in the long run since a single trip ticket is 350 HUF.
What to Know About Each Type of Public Transport in Budapest
Metro in Budapest – Best for getting to and from the airport as well as to Szechenyi Baths
Tram in Budapest – Best for short trips & over the bridge
Bus in Budapest – Best for to and from the airport as well as short trips
Approximate Prices for Public Transport in Budapest
- Single ticket: HUF 350 ($1.20 USD)
- Single ticket bought on the spot: HUF 450 ($1.55 USD)
- Block of 10 ticket: HUF 3,000 ($10.25 USD)
- Airport Shuttle Bus: HUF 900 ($3.10 USD)
- Transfer Ticket: HUF 530 ($1.80 USD)
- Short Section Metro Ticket for up to 3 Stops: HUF 300 ($1.02 USD)
- Metro Area Ticket: HUF 250 ($0.85 USD)
- Monthly Budapest-pass for students: HUF 3,450 ($11.75 USD)
Other Useful Tips for Public Transport in Budapest
- Buy your tickets! There are sometimes officials who go around on Budapest public transportation and ask to show your tickets, there will be a large fine if you do not have your verified ticket
- Access a guide to Budapest public transport provided by the city here!
- Use Google Maps or the BKK FUTAR App on your phone to plan your destination (Apple Store Link)
Remember if you would like to learn more about Budapest, Hungary, then you can visit my all-inclusive guide for free here!